Monday 23 April 2012

Triberr Etiquette Or How Not To Piss Off Your Tribemates


For those who don’t know, Triberr is a platform that allows bloggers to band together to support each other by semi-automating the tweeting of each other’s blog posts. 

When Triberr was first conceived by its founders, users were urged to ‘tribe up’ with Tweeps they knew and trusted because the idea and expectation was everyone would tweet out everything their tribemates posted to their blog and funnelled through Triberr. Since the loss of fully automated tweeting, this idea has fallen more and more by the wayside. Navigating the politics of any given tribe can be treacherous. Tempers flare. Insults are exchanged. 

Some tribes have rules. Everyone must tweet everyone else’s tweets. Tribemates must not post more than once a day. Tribemates must post more than three times a day. There is no obligation on tweeting at all.
And some tribes don’t have rules. 

Where there are no rules, or the rules are quite relaxed with no expectation of tweeting, then tribemates can clash. 

Sure, you may not be obligated to tweet me, but if you don’t tweet me, why should I feel obliged to tweet you? Triberr is and always has been an ‘I scratch your back, you scratch my back’ arrangement. 

So in the absence of strict tribe rules, I suggest the following common sense guidelines may help to manage the politics:
  • Sure, if you really feel someone posts nothing but crap, don’t tweet them. But if you are tweeting less than half your tribemates for quality reasons, you are probably in the wrong tribe;
  • If you don’t tweet someone, don’t expect them to tweet you back. Definitely don’t think Triberr is a place you can funnel your RSS feed through, set and forget, and never login in to approve tribemates posts. If you do, eventually no one will tweet your post. Why should people make an effort for someone unprepared to return the favour?
  • Don’t tell me you don’t tweet posts because of your ‘brand’. If you have real ‘brand’ issues, tribe up with bloggers who are all about your brand. There is no point tribing up with people you know from the get go that you will never tweet. And incidentally, don’t assume your followers are one dimensional. Fantasy readers, for example, come from all walks of life, and they have varied jobs. One of my readers enjoyed a post I tweeted about big rigs and dams, even though there’s not much in that I personally relate to.
  • If you do make a decision not to tweet a particular person, I personally think it’s courteous to notify them and let them know you don’t expect them to tweet you, but that one may just be me;
  • Tribe leaders, I do think you should encourage tribe members to bring disputes to you, rather than have them back-stabbing each other in the schoolyard as it were. Also, if someone really isn’t pulling their weight in a tribe (or is posting offensive drivel as happened in one of my tribes), you need to know about it because that person is dead weight (or downright dangerous) and isn’t adding any value to your tribe. There is little point having statistics on your tribal reach if in fact half your members are not tweeting to their followers, as that number is then just misleading. I have a few tribes where tribal leaders have removed people who were either not tweeting anyone at all, or were posting really offensive, discriminatory posts.
  • Unless you’re in a tribe that requires multiple postings per day, it’s unreasonable to expect your tribemates to tweet you more than once a day, especially if you are in a large tribe, and especially if the tribe contains a lot of daily bloggers;
If in doubt, you can always ask your tribe leader what the rules are, if any. Tribes of people you know well and really trust do work best. I have three of these, and they are my absolute favourites! But practically speaking, I recognise that’s not always possible. 

And a word to the wise – Triberr stats have lately been unreliable, so don’t assume someone who shows as tweeting ‘0’ of your posts really is. Check your Twitter stream before you give them the kiss of death!

I'm entered in the Best Australian Blogs 2012 Competition for both Flight of the Dragon and Somebody Has To Say It. If you like this blog, or Flight of the Dragon, I'd be eternally grateful if you'd be so good as to stop by and vote for me here.

This is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge Series. If you missed the previous posts, you can find them here - A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P , Q, R and S.

If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to check out my previous posts if you haven't already. If you're finding yourself here often, you might like to join as a member, sign up to the blog through RSS or email, or subscribe to my newsletter.

Don't forget to share the love and spread the word on Twitter, Facebook or StumbleUpon (or other social networking site of your choice) if you know other people who might also enjoy this.


Thanks for stopping by and visiting with us!

39 comments:

Tom Stronach said...

I just rely on people popping in and if they like what they see, fine, they may retweet, if not, that's ok. I do the same with nice folk like you, like what I read and retweet but I have no aspirations or expectations and so won't be disappointed if I am not retweeted

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I think most people who aren't in Triberr operate the same way, but it gets more political when people band together on a tweet for tweet basis and some people don't pull their weight.

Adam Justice said...

You're right about the stats not being accurate. I have a Tribemate listed as Doby, and according to the stats he is one of my most prolific tweeters by post number, but I haven't Tweeted anything that he has posted. In fact, I've made it a point to tweet everything I've ever saw from him because he is so regular in his sharing, the stats ust show up as 0 for some reason (I just went out of the normal stream to Tweet a post from him marked Promotional).

As for the rest, I'd say you're right on most counts. Lately I've been checking the stats, and if someone hasn't been sharing anything I just assume they don't login, so I have quit sharing their posts. Before long they may start logging in, but since I'll probably be in a habit of skipping their tweets by then, it won't matter. So it's best for Tribe leaders to keep the tribe pruned, because lack of etiquette just snowballs into an ineffective tribe.

Kern Windwraith said...

This is a very helpful post. I'm new to Triberr (well, new-ish; it took me a while to figure out what it was all about), and have been wondering about etiquette and expectations and such. Your suggestions make excellent sense.

I love the idea of someone refusing to retweet because they're trying to protect their brand. What on earth would such a person be doing on Triberr in the first place, unless they're set up in a nice cosy tribe with all their fans?

Thanks for the common sense.

Justin Bog said...

Hi Ciara, I couldn't agree more with you. Triberr is all about sharing the love and people who don't share their mates' posts do not realize the wonderful benefit that comes from doing so. I try to share everything, and then share the most brilliant posts again (and again) . . . not all of my Followers may have caught it the first time anyway. I like a laid back atmosphere in a tribe but the Chief must always be present and keeping an eye on things with such a set-up. I am in what is called a "no-guilt" tribe. I don't check stats anymore because they are always off or being reset by "server" problems at Triberr. I don't believe them and I give all mates the benefit of the doubt. If they don't want to share my content, that's okay too. Like Andy Rooney used to say: I won't hold it against them. Great post, Ciara. And this qualifies as brilliant LOL

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Absolutely, and an ineffective tribe benefits no one. You might as well not be in triberr at all if you are going to be in ineffective tribes.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I've come across the brand argument a few times. If they don't want to tweet me, they don't have to, but I won't tweet them. And unless they are tribed up with lots of people consistent with their brand, that's going to happen a lot, and then what's the point?

Some people seem to think triberr is a way of getting free marketing, but it's not free - it requires some effort on your part to promote the people promoting you.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I'm in 6 tribes, 3 great and 3 not so great. In the great ones, I share everything and everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. Not so much in the other tribes. I push a lot of stuff out, by why should I give preference to people who don't tweet me over people who tweet me a lot? You get what you earn I reckon.

Toby Neal said...

Most excellent points, Ciara! I've got a new tribe of my own... and working out the bugs!
Aloha
Toby

Jocelyn Rish said...

I've been seeing a lot of tweets via Triberr lately and was trying to decide if I should join or not. I'm not sure it's for me, but you've definitely presented some great things to think about as I try to make the decision - thank you.

Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
Jocelyn

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Good luck with the new tribe Toby!

Kelly said...

My best tribes are my smaller tribes (under 20). I was in two tribes that started out around 25 members and both grew to 50. Trying to get 50 people that all are willing to tweet/retweet by the same guidelines is not only difficult to do, but difficult for a Chief to control. And as many times as people say 'I don't care if someone doesn't tweet my stuff', well, I'm going to call BS here. Why would you be in a triberr tribe if you don't care if your posts are tweeted? I don't get that. At all.

AND, I remember that post you mentioned about the big rigs and the dams. It was a good one, wasn't it? :)

Ciara Ballintyne said...

You're welcome. There are many considerations in joining Triberr, among them how your followers will respond. If you have a few followers who only follow a few people, it can feel spammy, and you do need to make an effort to interact with people more on twitter so you don't look like you are just spamming. I am quite chatty on twitter (and you can see that from the number of tweets I've made) and part of that is to offset the Triberr tweets.

Definitely take care in selecting your tribe members. the best tribes are those that allow voting on new members or that offer a consultation process before new members are added to make sure new members are a good fit.

Jocelyn Rish said...

And thanks again for the follow-up info. :-)

The Masquerade Crew said...

Very good info, so good in fact that I'm going to tweet it out twice: once manually (just a few seconds ago) and in the Triberr feed. Look for it in about 5 days. Ha!

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Of course people care, it is the raison d'ĂȘtre for triberr's existence. Anyone who says otherwise is, as you say, full of BS. I will tolerate a certain amount of this with goodwill for the benefits the rest of my tribe gives me, but it can only go so far. I hear you on the big tribes!

Why yes, the big rigs and dams post was MOST excellent ;-)

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Thanks! Sounds like you might need to prune your tribes if your tribal stream is that long! I thought I was tribed up with a lot of people but I can always empty my stream out in 24 hours.

Andyholloman said...

great post ciara, thanks... i'm still getting use to triberr and this stuff is a big help!!!
hugs

DC said...

Hey Ciara! Great post. I agree with all of the points mentioned, especially your opinion that people who do not choose to tweet you should send you a brief message explaining that they do not expect you to tweet back.

MarshaAMoore said...

It actually takes a lot of organization and work to keep a Tribe running smoothly with everyone participating to the minimum expected level. But, it's very nice when it works. Then the tribe feels cohesive and members reach out and help each other with things other than tweeting.

Karen Walker said...

This seems like a wonderful supportive network. Unfortunately I don't do Twitter.
Karen

Trish Gentry said...

I love this post, Ciara. You nailed all the key points. I sure hope We Write is one of your "good" tribes. I think it's the best but what makes it the best are all the tribe members. You guys rock and make my job so easy. Couldn't agree more that if there is a problem within the tribe, bring it to me. The tribal page should be for sharing news and getting help with promos. (P.S. I voted for the blog too! Good luck :)

Gbaugniet said...

Thanks for some great ideas. Triberr sent me running away with the changes but maybe I can get back into the swing of things now.
http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

Ciara Ballintyne said...

No worries, Andy, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Thanks D.C. It's just basic courtesy, really, isn't it? The thing that annoys me most about people who don't tweet me is the possibility they stille xpect me to tweet them. If they said they didn't, I'd be much less, well, annoyed! :-)

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Indeed it does, and I know, because I run one of my own.

From observation, those tribe leaders who vet prospective members and set ground rules seem to have less hassles. I don't actually know how you select new members, so that's not all intended as a criticism of your own process. Certainly your tribe doesn't seem to have much conflict.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Some of them are and some tribes are not. I love Twitter, great way to meet new people.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Thanks Trish, for your comment and your vote! We Write is one of the best-run large tribes I know of.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I've always had too much traffic from Triberr to give it up. OK, so that makes it sound a little like crack but... well... it's true!

Dave Kean said...

I've been looking at Triberr for a while and the spam potential has stopped me diving in feet first so far. There seems to be a lot of potential for a tribe to get dominated by one or two contributors. But get with the right group and I see a huge benefit.

Thanks for giving me more to think about
Dave
www.davekean.com

Thank, Q said...

Good stuff! I'm in three tribes and I definitely want to make sure that I'm not doing anything to upset anyone. I usually check Triberr twice a day to make sure I'm sending everyone. I rarely exclude any body and I agree that Triberr isn't accurate when it comes to who's tweeting who.

Ross Quintana said...

Ciara, Great post. I think anyone paying attention and using Triberr has come to these frustrations. I know I had to call out a few people in a few tribes. I don't do it to be nasty, I want them to share my stuff so I can continue to share theirs. I understand if some tribes are general and not all content is right or quality. But I still try and share it unless I really think it would offend my audience or make them wonder who hyjacked my Twitter account. But I go out of my way to try and post from everyone. I even try once in a while to share someone who never really shares my stuff to maybe encourage them to start.

The only people that you can't really help are the ones who don't log in and share. Their stream I think cleans itself out over time and they don't get tweeted. While all their stuff is loading to others. Nice post though.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Since posts have to be manually approved, you can have one or two members blog continuously and just not approve too many of their posts. What's a bigger problem than one member who blogs daily and ten who blog weekly is twenty members who blog daily! I have one tribe with a daily blogger, and we are careful about the frequency of posts of new bloggers we add to the tribe.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I check twice a day too. I've been checking who tweets me through twitter, and then only because it seemed like half my tribemates weren't sharing me and that was concerning.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

I've had to call out a few people, for the same reasons you have. I share everyone except people who don't share me, but like you, every now and then, I'll share something from them as a kind of a nudge. Sadly it's never seemed to work. I suspect those people are just not logging in.

LynneinPborough said...

Just catching up on AtoZ. Great post on Triberr Ciara, it's interesting to see how different tribes work. I'm in 3 tribes, still getting to know my way around and I won't set my own up for a while, if at all.
I was worried about spamming, great to hear I need to chat more to dilute the stream, oh what a shame ;)

Ciara Ballintyne said...

It can be hard to know what to do in those tribes that are quite relaxed. Sometimes a clearer set of rules makes it easier for all concerned. Yes, indeed, what a shame - a reason to be on twitter more!

DC said...

Hey Ciara! Great post. I agree with all of the points mentioned, especially your opinion that people who do not choose to tweet you should send you a brief message explaining that they do not expect you to tweet back.

Ciara Ballintyne said...

Yes, if it's a policy decision because of branding or whatever. Even if it's a perceived quality issue, it would be possible to notify the blogger of a lack of intention to tweet without specifying it's a quality issue. At least then everyone is on the same page. However, recent experiences suggest to me some people are just prepared to take a free ride if they can get one - I stopped tweeting a lot of people who weren't tweeting me, and suddenly they started tweeting me - no guilt about not tweeting me when I'm tweeting them, but will make the effort if they know I'll cut them off if they don't! What does that say??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Real Time Analytics